Michigan Coordinated Campaign: Director of Coalitions
Job Summary: The Director of Coalitions and Community Engagement will develop and implement a comprehensive outreach and engagement strategy to reach, engage and mobilize key stakeholders, communities and coalitions in support of the medium term of 2022 and strengthening democratic power; this will include, for example, specific and targeted initiatives for key groups – such as black women, millennials, Latinx, AAPI and rural. The director will manage a growing team of directors and coalition outreach organizers.
The Director (and staff) will act as a senior member of the state’s Coordinated Campaign Leadership Team and will work closely with the Michigan Democratic Party to ensure integration of these efforts. Externally, the Director of Coalitions will work with state partners and
allies, campaigns, elected officials, key stakeholders and member organisations.
● Oversee the development, stakeholder analysis, outreach, execution and management of the state’s community engagement plan with a focus on building real political power within declared communities
● Recruit, hire, train and manage a team of coalition outreach staff to support a team of coalition volunteers.
● Monitor the demographic landscape(s) linked to the organization of the elections and the issues; monitor demographic and political trends; and prepare reference documents and other materials as needed
● Implement a voter contact program with concrete measures of success with the goal of increasing voter turnout in the 2022 elections and beyond
● Plan, direct and execute core activities for coalition volunteers.
● Manage state coalition strategy and related programs – which leverage state parties, partnerships and coordinated campaign infrastructure – to engage and mobilize important constituencies;
● Support communication priorities through acquired media events and storyteller recruitment;
● Convene and organize coalition stakeholders to define, strategize and successfully create new opportunities for political empowerment;
● Work to increase the effectiveness and visibility of constituency engagement strategies and programs, and other assigned tasks.
● Have a passion and commitment to the mission of the Democratic Party and to racial equity and social justice;
● Be an organizer at heart;
● Have a collaborative and empowering style of leadership and management;
● Have a solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiatives, while juggling several priorities that can change quickly;
● Be creative, innovative and avant-garde;
● Have the ability to use successful actions to generate new relationships and opportunities;
● Demonstrate a high level of interpersonal skills and judgment, demonstrate composure, tact and diplomacy; and,
● Have a demonstrated ability to manage conflict and work towards the required resolution.
● Demonstrated record of project management and personnel
● Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
● A minimum of 3-5 years of political experience, preferably in advocacy, organizing and/or campaigning at the national or state level;
● Demonstrated experience in leadership development, election campaign
management, personnel management, racial justice and/or social equity work;
● Ability to represent the Democratic Party with maturity and judgment;
● Proven track record of building and managing coalitions among diverse stakeholders to achieve consensus and action;
● Proven ability to write for multiple audiences and clearly translate complex information;
● Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and presentation skills;
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and great attention to detail;
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment where priorities change quickly; and,
● Fearlessness in building unconventional relationships and alliances.