Amref Health Africa is looking for a qualified Deputy Party Leader (DCoP) lead the planned USAID-funded activity titled Promoting Results and Achievements through Political and Economic Levers (PROPEL) Round 3: Youth. The five-year global project with a budget of approximately US$25 million will focus on policy, advocacy, financing and governance (PAFG) and technical assistance for family planning and reproductive health ( FP/RH), and the integration of FP/RH with health, HIV/AIDS related to young people and adolescents as well as gender equity.
Summary of work
The objective of the DCoP position is to ensure technical excellence and impact of the PROPEL Round 3 activity. performance to ensure the technical excellence of the activity. This position ensures technical quality, program integration and learning excellence. “The DCoP will report directly to the CoP and help oversee the activity’s technical team and collaboration with partners. He will assume the responsibilities of the CoP in his absence.
Technical quality support
- Provide technical guidance and leadership on activity implementation to deliver integrated, high-quality, evidence-based interventions.
- Manage the activity’s technical team and ensure that technical support is aligned with the work plan;
- Provide technical support to technical advisors and the project in general;
- Ensure the implementation of gender-sensitive, inclusive and transformative interventions that align with positive youth development, and emphasize participatory and youth-led approaches.
- Work with the MEL Director to organize quarterly and annual program review meetings; provide quarterly and annual progress reports on technical activities
- Participate in the development/review of supervision and other PROPEL cycle quality assurance processes and tools
- Provide regular support and supervision to staff under direct direction. This includes regular supervision and performance management meetings to assess progress against agreed results
- Strengthen the technical and managerial capacities of staff under the direct direction and delegate tasks for the effective execution of activities
- Participate in staff recruitment, take disciplinary action against employees in accordance with the limit of authority specified in the HR manual
Coordination of activities and communication
- Assist the Chief of Party (CoP) in compiling key technical reports to USAID and other stakeholders, including quarterly, semi-annual, and annual progress reports, as well as other reports needed/required by key parties stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant partners and technical team in the development and implementation of policy, advocacy, funding and youth-related materials, processes and strategies as appropriate
- Interact with USAID on technical issues affecting activity implementation; Participate in relevant working groups and working groups
Representation and networking
- When requested by the CoP, represent Amref in meetings with USAID Washington, USAID Missions, Ministries of Health, or other key stakeholders
- Represent the Activity in technical forums, policy dialogue and technical working groups
- Masters or higher degree in public health or other relevant field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience leading large and complex partnership programs focusing on youth, adolescents, gender equality programs, FP/RH, maternal health and HIV/AIDS .
- Experience working on multi-country/global USAID projects.
- Technical leadership of youth and youth-led organizations, including expertise on youth-adult partnerships and Meaningful Adolescent and Youth Engagement (MAYE) approaches
Knowledge and skills
- Experience in implementing projects on family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), maternal health and HIV/AIDS
- Solid understanding of best practices in youth programming, including positive youth development, and familiarity with USAID Youth Development Policy.
- Experience in cultivating and nurturing relationships with a variety of key actors including youth, ministries and civil servants, NGOs and the private sector.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to analyze, interpret and solve difficult problems; ability to manage multidisciplinary responsibilities and priorities;
- Additionally, successful applicants must be willing to travel 25% of the time.
PLEASE NOTE: QUALIFIED YOUNG PEOPLE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
How to register
Interested? Please send your application to [email protected] quoting REF: DCoP/PROPEL/Round 3 in the subject line. Your application must only include your CV with relevant skills and experience and a cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position. Do not attach certificates or endorsements. Please note that this position will remain open until filled and the selection process will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Due note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at any stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agents in the recruitment process. Although Amref may use different job boards from time to time to extend its reach to candidates, all vacancies are posted on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages. Please also note that official emails from Amref Health Africa will come from an @amref.org address.
Amref Health Africa is committed to protecting and promoting the well-being of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.