Location: US-VA-Tysons (McLean)
Job ID: 2022-0046
Number of post types: 1
Category: Government/Legislative Affairs – Base Coordinator
The International Airline Pilots Association (ALPA), the world’s largest airline pilots union and the world’s largest non-governmental aviation safety organization (representing over 65,000 pilots at 40 US and Canadian airlines) is seeking an experienced Coordinator for our Tysons (McLean) office. , Virginia. The Base Coordinator works with ALPA leadership on the overall development, coordination, and implementation of a grassroots program to engage Pilots in ALPA government affairs. They create, implement and run educational and grassroots pilot programs to engage members in the Association’s legislative agenda, running group-specific pilot projects, planning and implementing workshops and training seminars, developing new ways of communicating with members (including social media), and producing and promoting “calls to action” when grassroots participation is needed. In coordination with the Department of Government Affairs (GA), they also develop ALPA’s strategic plan and local initiatives. Requires expertise in grassroots engagement; goal-oriented personality; high degree of organizational, strategic and creative ability; good understanding of the legislative and political process; strong writing skills; and, excellent interpersonal skills.
Travel: 10 – 30%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information , pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as set forth in federal or state law. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, eg, political science, history, economics, or related field required, Master’s degree or completion of postgraduate coursework in a preferred related field, from an accredited college or university; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
- Three (3) years of prior or related experience in grassroots organizing, fundraising or political campaigning required, five (5) years or more preferred.
- Must have knowledge of Capitol Hill, the legislative process, and current US political dynamics.
- Previous experience in labor or association government relations, congressional campaigns, or congressional offices is strongly preferred.
- Campaign experience in support of a candidate’s issue, initiative or campaign may be a plus.
- Experience or knowledge of trade unions, an asset.
- Must be extremely thorough; have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; be able to work in a team environment; and possess strong strategic planning and organizational skills.
- Expertise in communication on social networks.
- Software: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). A first experience with Quorum is a plus.
Note: The physical demands described here are typical of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly uses a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position; getting around the office and the local metropolitan area; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach and move around the office and travel (locally and nationally). May also occasionally include bending, stooping, squatting and/or pushing and pulling or moving, for example when packing, unpacking and/or moving crates.
Occasionally required to move, lift, reach and/or retrieve filing cabinets, books, boxes and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs). During travel, may be responsible for moving, lifting, reaching and/or retrieving baggage weighing up to 50 lbs. (Support is not always available.)
Relocation not provided
Sponsorship not available for this position.
Apply here: https://www.click2apply.net/JKye8VcQmjomgcQakiXARq